Monday, April 19, 2010

A big buzzing bee, warming up on the front porch. I may join him and soak up the sun.

What a difference a day makes! I even cut a bunch for in the house.


Tiny lilac beginnings. Probably my most favourite smell. I fill up the house with them every spring.




Flowering almond bush. Pretty blossoms, but short lasting.


Boston Ivy, I think. Slow grower, but I really like it. It's bright red in the fall.


My other ivy is just getting buds. Look closely! It has taken over the porch and half the side of the house. It's huge and grows fast. It's sort of awesome to think that one sprout coming out of the ground could be cut, and the whole thing would die. That would be sad.


Of course, my rhubarb patch. We are the rhubarb capital of the world after all.


This is asparagus. Takes years to get a good crop, which we have now. Good eating, but the plants are a big bush in the garden till November.


The apricot trees are beautiful in the spring. Lots of blossoms, and lots of buzzing of bees, means lots of apricots this year. I'm not a big fan of fresh apricots, and I hate canning. I'll let you know when they are ripe. Come pick them!










1 comment:

Lucy van Eyk said...

Ahh asparagus! I so love them! We just finished planting them last week. Looking forward to them in a few years.
I hope to be around to try your apricots in the fall. (if, of course, the volcanic ash from Iceland passes before then)